Technical Olympics (Saturday only event):
Five competitors per school, including 1 stage manager. You will be judged on speed and accuracy.
1. Quick change: Two-
2. Prop table: One-
3. Set change: Team Event. The students will be provided with approximately 4 items (usually a table, 2 blocks, and chair) assembled in formation of a set. The team will have to reset the furniture according to a ground plan read by the stage manager. When finished setting the furniture teams must spike the set. Time will be called when the last spike is set. When spiking the furniture teams must make sure they have 2 opposite corners spiked with an L mark. A round object is spiked with an X directly under the object. One team member will act as the “stage manager” and direct the other 4 members of the team on where the items go. Under no circumstance is the stage manager allowed to help in spiking the set or cross a designated line to help in moving furniture.
4. Mic Change: 3-
5. Theatre Chaos Relay: Team Event. An event for anyone who has had to fix anything from a crying actor to a breaking set piece backstage during a show! Participants must begin in the start box. When the start is given by the judge, the first person will proceed to the first checkpoint and select a card. Printed on the card will be a theatrical problem requiring a tool, hardware, or other scene shop material. The student will then go to the bin at the second checkpoint and select the item needed to fix said problem and return the item and card to the starting table. Once the card and item are in place the next student will start towards the checkpoint. This procedure continues until the last card is returned to the starting box and every student has gone. (Example of materials needed include but are not limited to: Safety pin, bobby pin, Gaff tape, glue gun, band aid, extension cord, bolt/nut, tie line, safety cable, spike tape, etc.)
6. Up to 5 schools may compete simultaneously in all of the different categories.
7. Outside audience members are permitted to view, but not to advise or call out instructions.
Advanced Tech Challenge (Saturday only event):
The Advanced Tech Challenge is a series of events that are designed to test your knowledge of skills that every experienced technician should have. Each school may have one team with 6 members compete in a combination of five team and individual events. For accuracy of the competition a full guide outlining the events, scoring, rules, and requirements is available online at www.njthespians.org.
The events will be
1. Lighting: Hanging and focusing a Source 4 (Individual Event): Two people per team can participate, and each gets one try.
2. Rigging: Knot tying (Individual Event): Two people per team can participate in this event, and each gets one try.
3. Costumes: Sew a button (Individual Event): Two people per team can participate in this event, and each gets one try.
4. Scenery: Leg a platform (Pair Event): One pair per team and they get one try (because of time constraints.
5. Stage Management: Tape a ground plan (Team Event): The team gets one try (because of time constraints).
HOW TO VIDEOS COURTEOUS OF GEORGIA THESPIANS:
LIGHTING : HANGING AND FOCUSING A SOURCE 4 LEKO
RIGGING & KNOT TYING
COSTUMES: SEW A BUTTON
SCENERY: LEG A PLATFORM
STAGE MANAGEMENT: TAPE A GROUND PLAN
HOW TO VIDEO COURTEOUS OF NJ THESPIANS: